|Developer(s) 03||Tapbots LLC|
|Initial release||iPhone: April 14, 2011 |
iPad: February 8, 2012
Mac: October 18, 2012
iPhone: Tweetbot 6.1 for iOS, released April 2021 iPad:Tweetbot 6.1 for iOS, released April 2021 macOS Tweetbot 3 for Mac
|Operating system||iOS, macOS, iPadOS|
Tweetbot is a third party client application for the social networking site Twitter meant for use on Apple Inc.'s iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Mac platforms. The application is available in three versions, one optimized for use with iPhone and iPod Touch, one for the Mac, with another version meant for use exclusively for iPad.
Tweetbot was initially released on April 14, 2011, by Tapbots on the App Store. It was only available for the iPhone at that time. Features have been added to the program over time, including multiple account switching, in-timeline viewing of images and YouTube video thumbnails, push notifications, and the ability to mute certain users and topics in the timeline view temporarily. Customization of two tabs is also available in the application, and updates after the release of iOS 5 have added other features such as left and right swiping of a Twitter message to follow individual conversation threads.
The app's slogan is "A Twitter client with personality", which is meant to emulate a friendly robot, as the Tapbots' other programs do. The program also has universal syncing through iCloud, allowing for bookmarking between the iPhone, iPad and Mac clients.
On June 11, 2012, Tapbots announced the launch of an alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac. Since October 18, 2012, the final version is available in the Mac App Store, which includes all features of the iOS version.
On February 4, 2013, Tapbots released version 2.7 of Tweetbot. Added features include support for inline viewing of Vine video clips as well as options to set a default browser for external links. Shortly after, version 2.7.1 was released to fix a bug in the 2.7 update that caused the application to crash at launch for many users.
On October 17, 2013, Tapbots submitted version 3.0 of Tweetbot to the App Store team for review. Version 3.0 is an update to match the new design of iOS 7.
On July 1, 2014, Tapbots updated Tweetbot to version 1.6 for Mac, introducing multiple image upload feature and fixed other minor bugs.
On October 1, 2015, Tapbots released version 4.0 of Tweetbot. Added features include iPad support, landscape support for iPhone and iPad, new statistics and activity view, new column view in landscape on iPad and iPhone 6 Plus, split view multi-tasking on iPad, quick reply from notifications, safari view controller with content blocker support, and a new user interface. Tweetbot 4 also improved its mute filter settings, status details, user profiles, and optimizations to the app itself. It is the first application that requires iOS 9 on the device. It cannot be downloaded with earlier versions of the mobile operating system, as the program supports only the English localization.
On November 3, 2015, Tweetbot 4.1 was released by Tapbots. For the first time, the app supports Apple Watch and displays alerts for new favorite, new follows, and mentions. Just click on the alert for a detailed view and right from the Apple Watch you can follow back, retweet or favorite based on the kind of alert it is. Once you are in the detailed view, a quick tap on the avatar displays user's profile. You can see their bio, locations, profile picture and also an option to DM, follow or unfollow and reply them.
On January 26, 2021, Tapbots released Tweetbot 6 for iOS and iPad. The update features new themes, a new Direct Message Interface, a new San Francisco Font, and makes Tweetbot a subscription-based app. The app is free on the iOS App Store and includes a seven-day free trial, after which Tweetbot can be purchased by a monthly or yearly subscription.
PC Magazine praised it for design and customization, but criticized the lack of support for multiple Twitter accounts, an issue that was addressed in later versions. Mac Stories called it "excellent", the reviewer's favorite Twitter client. The Daily Telegraph gave it 4/5 stars. Macworld praised its "impressive" feature set and design.
- "Tweetbot a Twitter Client with Personality". tapbots.com. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "iCloud Sync". tapbots.com. April 10, 2012. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "Tweetbot for Mac". tapbots.com. Archived from the original on August 19, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- Panzario, Matthew (October 3, 2012). "Tweetbot creator launches Netbot, a mature and polished App.net client for iPhone and iPad". TheNextWeb. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Veticci, Federico (March 12, 2012). "Tweetbot 2.6.1 Tweaks UI". Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Sande, Steven (February 4, 2013). "Tweetbot 2.7 for iPhone adds Vine, Flickr previews". Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Tweetbot for Twitter (iPhone & iPod touch)". iTunes Preview. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Jardine, Mark (October 17, 2013). "Tapbots and the State of our Apps in iOS 7". Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "TweetBot Updated to V1.6 for Mac". July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Williams, Owen (June 4, 2015). "Tweetbot 2 for Mac is my new favorite Twitter client". The Next Web. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- "Say hello to Tweetbot 4". October 1, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "Tweetbot 4.1 with Apple Watch support is out". November 3, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "Tweetbot 4.1 for iOS brings in Apple Watch Support". Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Tweetbot (for iPad)", PC Magazine, February 15, 2012
- Viticci, Federico (April 14, 2011), "Tweetbot for iPhone Review", MacStories
- Shane Richmond, "Tweetbot for iPad review", The Daily Telegraph (UK), March 15, 2012
- Lex Friedman, "Tweetbot — A Twitter Client with Personality for iPad Review", Macworld
- Official website