The Giving Pledge
|Type||Charitable organization 02|
|Bill Gates 02|
Warren Buffett 02
The Giving Pledge is a campaign to encourage extremely wealthy people to contribute a majority of their wealth to philanthropic causes. As of December 2021[update], the pledge has 231 signatories from 28 countries. Most of the signatories of the pledge are billionaires, and as of 2016, their pledges are estimated to total US$600 billion.
The organization's stated goal is to inspire the wealthy people of the world to give at least half of their net worth to philanthropy, either during their lifetime or upon their death. The pledge is a public gesture of an intention to give, not a legal contract. On The Giving Pledge's website, each individual or couple writes a letter explaining why they chose to give.
In June 2010, the Giving Pledge campaign was formally announced and Bill Gates and Warren Buffett began recruiting members. As of August 2010, the aggregate wealth of the first 40 pledgers was $125 billion. As of April 2011, 69 billionaires had joined the campaign and given a pledge, and by the following year, The Huffington Post reported that a total of 81 billionaires had pledged. By May 2017, 158 individuals and/or couples were listed as pledgers. Not all pledgers are billionaires.
List of pledgers
This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items. (December 2021)
|Name||Net worth in billion US$||Source of wealth||Industry||Year of Pledge|
|Elon Musk||273||Tesla, SpaceX||Cleantech, Rocketry||2012|
|Warren Buffett||125||Berkshire Hathaway||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Mark Zuckerberg||74.5||Meta Platforms||Tech||2010|
|Charles Zegar||2.6||Bloomberg L.P||Tech||2010|
|Shelby White||0.6||Leon Levy, Odyssey Partners||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Sanford and Joan Weill||1||Shearson Loeb Rhoades||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Ted Turner||2.2||Cable News Network||Media||2010|
|Jim and Virginia Stowers||2||Twentieth Century Mutual Funds||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Tom Steyer||1.6||Farallon Capital||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Patrick Soon-Shiong||11.5||Abraxane, investments||Healthcare||2010|
|Jim Simons||25.2||Renaissance Technologies||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Thomas Secunda||3.6||Bloomberg L.P||Tech||2010|
|Walter Scott Jr||4.2||Berkshire Hathaway||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Vicki Sant||1.7||AES Corporation, inheritance||Energy||2010|
|Denny Sanford||2.2||First PREMIER Bank||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Herbert and Marion Sandler||2.4||Golden West Financial Corporation||Finance & Investments||2010|
|David M. Rubenstein||4.3||The Carlyle Group||Finance & Investments||2010|
|David Rockefeller||3.3||Standard Oil, inheritance||Energy||2010|
|MacKenzie Scott and Dan Jewett||55||Amazon||Tech||2019|
|Julian H. Robertson Jr||4.1||Tiger Management||Finance & Investments||2010|
|T. Boone Pickens||0.5||Mesa Petroleum, BP Capital Management||Energy, Finance & Investments||2010|
|Peter G. Peterson||2.8||Blackstone Group||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Ronald O. Perelman||4.3||MacAndrews & Forbes||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Bernard and Barbro Osher||1.1||Golden West Financial Corporation||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Pierre and Pam Omidyar||21.8||eBay||Tech||2010|
|John Morgridge||1||Cisco Systems||Tech||2010|
|Thomas S. Monaghan||1||Domino's Pizza||Food & Beverage||2010|
|George P. Mitchell||1.6||Mitchell Energy & Development Corp||Energy||2010|
|Duncan MacMillan||1.1||Bloomberg L.P||Tech||2010|
|Lorry I. Lokey||1||Business Wire||Media||2010|
|Gerry Lenfest||2.4||Lenfest Communications||Media||2010|
|Ken Langone||3.3||The Home Depot||Retail||2010|
|Sidney Kimmel||1.4||Jones Apparel Group||Fashion & Cosmetics||2010|
|George B. Kaiser||7.6||Kaiser-Francis Oil Company||Energy||2010|
|Carl Icahn||22||Icahn Enterprises||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Jon Huntsman Sr||1.5||Huntsman Corporation||Manufacturing||2010|
|Barron Hilton||4.5||Hilton Hotels||Services||2010|
|Lyda Hill||1||Hunt Oil Company, inheritance||Energy||2010|
|David Green||4.5||Hobby Lobby||Retail||2010|
|Ted Forstmann||1.6||Forstmann Little & Company||Finance & Investments||2010|
|John Doerr||12.7||Kleiner Perkins||Finance & Investments||2010|
|Jeff T. Green||4.4||AdECN||Tech||2021|
|Anil Agrawal||4||Vedanta Resources||Mining||2021|
- "FAQ: How many people have joined the Giving Pledge, and where are they from?". The Giving Pledge. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- "Global Billionaire Population: The Billionaire Census 2018". Wealth-X. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Forty U.S. billionaires pledge to give half their money to charity". Xinhua News Agency. 4 August 2010. Archived from the original on 11 August 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
A statement from the Giving Pledge website said "the pledge is a moral commitment to give, not a legal contract."
- The Giving Pledge :: Pledger Profiles Retrieved 16 May 2017
- Carol Loomis (16 June 2010). "The $600 billion challenge". Fortune. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Blackburn, Bradley (4 August 2010). "The Giving Pledge: Billionaires Promise to Donate at Least Half Their Fortunes to Charity". ABC News. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- 10 More U.S. Families Commit to the Giving Pledge , retrieved 25 October 2011
- "Warren Buffett, Bill Gates Giving Pledge Gets 12 More Billionaires To Commit Over Half Of Their Fortunes", Huffington Post, April 20, 2012
- Lorenzetti, Laura (1 June 2016). "17 More Billionaires Join Buffett and Gates' Giving Pledge This Year". Fortune. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "James Stowers, U.S." Forbes. Retrieved 2021-12-29.
- "Thomas Secunda". Forbes. Retrieved 2021-12-29.
- "Forbes.com: Forbes World's Richest People 2005". www.forbes.com. Retrieved 2021-12-29.
- Official website