Portrait of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
|Portrait of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge|
|Medium||Oil on linen|
|Dimensions||210 cm × 110 cm (83 in × 43 in)|
|Location||Fitzwilliam Museum 01, Cambridge|
Portrait of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is the first official joint portrait of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge 01, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge 01, unveiled at the Fitzwilliam Museum on 23 June 2022 in the presence of the couple. Following an idea by Sir Michael Marshall, Jamie Coreth was commissioned in 2021 by the Cambridgeshire Royal Portrait Fund, which is held by the Cambridge Community Foundation, to paint a portrait of the Duke and Duchess as a gift to Cambridgeshire. The portrait will be kept at the Fitzwilliam Museum for three years, but it will be loaned to the National Portrait Gallery, London for a brief period in 2023 to mark its reopening. It will later on be displayed in different places and galleries across Cambridgeshire. The Duke called the painting "amazing" at the unveiling ceremony.
Portrait of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is the first official portrait of William and Catherine. Coreth, the recipient of the 2016 BP Young Artist Award, described the process of creating the piece as "the most extraordinary privilege of my life". Regarding the work and its features, Coreth added that he "wanted to show Their Royal Highnesses in a manner where they appeared both relaxed and approachable, as well as elegant and dignified". He further stated that the piece is meant "to evoke a feeling of balance between their public and private lives". Kensington Palace announced that the portrait is set to be used "as a means of encouraging children and young people of all backgrounds from across the county to take an interest in art in all its forms".
The couple sat for Coreth twice at Kensignton Palace, and later each had a solo session with the artist. The 210 centimeter by 110 centimeter oil painting shows the couple standing side-by-side while gazing into the distance. William appears in a black suit with an eggshell coloured shirt and teal tie, while Catherine is shown wearing a metallic emerald green midi-dress and satin green heels. Pieces of jewellery worn by Cathrine include the Duchess of Cambridge's pearl pendant brooch, and Diana, Princess of Wales's Collingwood pearl earrings and three-strand pearl bracelet. The outfits were similar to the ones worn by the couple during their visit to Dublin in 2020. The background features tones and a hexagonal architectural motif that according to the artist were inspired by buildings across Cambridge.
- "First joint portrait of UK's Prince William and wife Kate released". Reuters. 23 June 2022. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Petit, Stephanie; Hill, Erin (23 June 2022). "Kate Middleton and Prince William's First Official Joint Portrait Unveiled!". People. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Whitehead, Joanna (23 June 2022). "First portrait of Prince William and Kate together unveiled as a 'gift' to Cambridgeshire". The Independent. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Sottile, Zoe (23 June 2022). "The first official joint portrait of Prince William and Kate has been unveiled". CNN. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Kindelan, Katie (23 June 2022). "Prince William, Kate unveil their 1st official joint portrait". ABC News. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Furness, Hannah (23 June 2022). "Cambridges unveil their first official portrait to celebrate 10 years as Duke and Duchess". The Telegraph. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Vanderhoof, Erin (23 June 2022). "Kate Middleton and Prince William Honor Previous Generations of Royals in Their First Official Portrait". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- McDermott, Kerry (23 June 2022). "The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge's First Official Portrait Captures One Of Kate's Fashion Highlights". Vogue. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Whitehead, Joanna (23 June 2022). "Kate Middleton wears Queen's Duchess of Cambridge brooch for first time in new portrait". The Independent. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Sanchez, Chelsey (23 June 2022). "Duchess Kate Glows in One of Her Most Memorable Dresses in First Official Portrait with Prince William". Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- Preskey, Natasha (23 June 2022). "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's first official portrait released". BBC. Retrieved 24 June 2022.