|Born|| (2021-06-04) 4 June 2021|
Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor (born 4 June 2021) is the daughter of Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. She is the eleventh great-grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and is eighth in the line of succession to the British throne.
Birth, family and infancy
Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor was born at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, California, on 4 June 2021 at 11:40 PDT (18:40 UTC). Her birth along with her name were announced two days later. She is named after her paternal great-grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, who was called "Lilibet" by her family, and her paternal grandmother, Diana, Princess of Wales. Her nickname is "Lili". She has an older brother, Archie. Mountbatten-Windsor descends paternally from the British royal family and has mixed-race ancestry, having African and European maternal lineage. She has dual citizenship of the United States and the United Kingdom.
In December 2021, the first photograph of Mountbatten-Windsor was released to the public as a Christmas card from her parents.
Title and succession
Mountbatten-Windsor is eighth in the line of succession to the British throne and is the highest-ranked individual in the current line of succession to have been born overseas. As a male-line great-grandchild, rather than a grandchild, of a monarch, she is not a princess. Daughters of dukes are entitled to the courtesy title "Lady" before their given name; however, as is the case with her brother, Archie, it is unlikely that she will use a title, at least while living in the United States. Under letters patent issued by King George V in November 1917, she would be entitled to become a princess upon the accession of her grandfather, Charles, Prince of Wales.
- "Prince Harry and Meghan announce birth of baby girl". BBC News. 6 June 2021. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- Shearing, Hazel (7 June 2021). "Queen 'delighted' after Harry and Meghan announce birth of baby girl". BBC News. Retrieved 28 September 2021.
- "Harry and Meghan announce birth of baby daughter, saying: 'She is more than we could have ever imagined'". Sky News. 6 June 2021. Retrieved 28 September 2021.
- Said-Moorhouse, Lauren (7 June 2021). "The meaning behind Lilibet 'Lili' Diana Mountbatten-Windsor". CNN. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Landler, Mark (6 June 2021). "Harry and Meghan Announce Birth of Second Baby, Lilibet Diana". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
...after a sensational interview with Oprah Winfrey in which Meghan, a 'biracial' American former actress, accused the royal family...
- Foster, Max; Said-Moorhouse, Lauren (6 June 2021). "Meghan and Harry welcome baby girl, Lilibet Diana". CNN. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
Her birth in the United States makes her the most senior royal in the line of succession to have been born overseas. It also makes her a dual US-UK citizen, meaning that the youngest Sussex could potentially go on to become US President when she grows up.
- Ledbetter, Carly (23 December 2021). "Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Release First Photo Of Baby Lili In Holiday Card". HuffPost. Retrieved 23 December 2021.
- Petter, Olivia (4 June 2022). "Queen 'Meets Lilibet for the First Time' As Harry and Meghan Reunite with Monarch". The Independent. Retrieved 6 June 2022.
- Davies, Caroline (15 February 2021). "Harry and Meghan to break silence in Oprah Winfrey interview". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- "Courtesy Titles". Debrett's. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- Stacey, Danielle (6 June 2021). "Meghan Markle welcomes baby girl with Prince Harry". Hello!. Retrieved 6 June 2021.