2019 Prague 9 by-election
A by-election for the Prague 9 Senate seat in the Czech Republic will be held on 5 and 6 April 2019. The incumbent Senator Zuzana Baudyšová, elected as a candidate of ANO 2011, announced her resignation on 29 January 2019 due to health problems. Jan Jarolím and David Smoljak advanced to the second round. Smoljak was eventually elected the new Senator.
The previous election was held in 2014, with Zuzana Baudyšová elected the new Senator, nominated by ANO 2011. She remained in the position until 29 January 2019, when she resigned due to health difficulties. New election eas set for 5 and 6 April 2019.
Nominations closed on 18 February 2019, with ten candidates nominated. The Civic Democratic Party nominated Mayor of Prague 9 Jan Jarolím, who also received support from Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party. Czech Pirate Party nominated local politician Petr Daubner, who also received support from the Czech Social Democratic Party and the Green Party. Mayors and Independents nominated David Smoljak, a screenwriter and son of Ladislav Smoljak. TOP 09 nominated Martin Kroh. ANO 2011 nominated security specialist and lecturer Martin Hrubčík.
|Petr Daubner||Czech Pirate Party||Local politician. Also supported by Czech Social Democratic Party, Green Party and Senator 21|
|Martin Hrubčík||ANO 2011||Chairman of Local ANO 2011.|
|Jan Jarolím||Civic Democratic Party||Mayor of Prague 9. Also supported by Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party and Svobodní.|
|Jiří Koskuba||Czech Sovereignty||Former Social Democratic MP.|
|Martin Kroh||TOP 09||Chairman of Czech association for Housing Development|
|Libor Michálek||Vision for Czechia||Former Czech Pirate Party Senator|
|Pavel Pešan||Freedom and Direct Democracy||Free Citizens candidate during 2014 European Parliament election.|
|David Smoljak||Mayors and Independents||Screenwriter and supporter of the party.|
|Eva Syková||For Health and Sport||Scientist and former Senator|
|Petr Šimůnek||Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia||Deputy Chairman of the Communist Party.|
Petr Daubner announced his candidacy on 18 February 2019. He is nominated by the Czech Pirate Party and supported by Czech Social Democratic Party, Green Party and Senator 21. He stated that he would focus on defence of democracy and education.
David Smoljak announced his candidacy on 19 February 2019 as a nominee of Mayors and Independents. Former Senator Libor Michálek also announced his candidacy on 19 February 2019. He previously served as a member of the Senate but was defeated in the 2018 election.
Mayor of Prague 9 Jan Jarolím announced his candidacy on 28 February 2019. He is nominated by the Civic Democratic Party and supported by Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party and Svobodní. Jarolím stated that he wants to focus on the environment and support for municipalities if he gets elected.
Former Social Democratic Senator for Prague 4 Eva Syková, who was defeated in the 2018 Senate election, is a candidate for Prague 9 Senator as the nominee of For Health and Sport. She announced her candidacy on 27 February 2019.
Jan Jarolím and David Smoljak advanced to the second round.
Knowledge of candidates
|25 March 2019||Phoenix Research||26%||22%||11%||8%||8%||6%||6%||5%||5%||3%|
Fortuna agency viewed Jan Jarolím as the front-runner due to his results in the 2018 municipal election, during which he led ODS to a clear victory in Prague 9 district. Petr Daubner and Martin Hrubčík were viewed as his strongest opponents.
|Candidate||Party||1st round||2nd round|
|Jan Jarolím||Civic Democratic Party, Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party||4,651||24.25||4,811||40.49|
|David Smoljak||Mayors and Independents||4,514||23.53||7,070||59.50|
|Petr Daubner||Czech Pirate Party, Czech Social Democratic Party, Green Party||2,674||13.94|
|Martin Hrubčík||ANO 2011||2,391||12.46|
|Martin Kroh||TOP 09||1.392||7.25|
|Libor Michálek||Vision for Czechia||1,127||5.87|
|Petr Šimůnek||Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia||807||4.20|
|Jiří Koskuba||Czech Sovereignty||678||3.53|
|Pavel Pešan||Freedom and Direct Democracy||563||2.93|
|Eva Syková||For Health and Sport||380||1.98|
|Total valid votes||19 177||99.63||11,881||99.56|
|Source:Czech Statistical Bureau|
- "Senátorka za ANO Baudyšová rezignovala, Prahu 9 čekají doplňující volby". echo24.cz (in Czech). 29 January 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- Pilous, Patrik (31 January 2019). "Doplňující senátní volby 2019 na Praze 9 za Baudyšovou". České volby (in Czech). Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Senátorka za ANO Zuzana Baudyšová dnes složila svůj mandát". Deník N (in Czech). 29 January 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Doplňovací volby: senátorem za Prahu 9 bude scenárista Smoljak, nebo starosta Jarolím". www.echo24.cz (in Czech). 6 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Baudyšová: Nadace je moje dítě, odchod pro mě bude velmi bolavý". iDNES.cz. 18 October 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Senátorka Baudyšová rezignovala". Novinky.cz. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "ODS nasazuje do bitvy o senátora starostu Prahy 9. Kandiduje i scenárista Smoljak". www.echo24.cz (in Czech). 19 February 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Ve volbách do Senátu v Praze 9 bude pravděpodobně deset kandidátů". Blesk.cz. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Kdo za Baudyšovou? Senátorem za Prahu 9 chce být starosta, lékař i syn Smoljaka". Blesk.cz. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "ČSSD se spojí s Piráty v senátních volbách, ODS s lidovci". Novinky.cz. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Exsenátor, který žádal rivala o křeslo bez boje, chce místo Baudyšové". iDNES.cz. 19 February 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Bereň, Michael (20 February 2019). "Senát chce zpět Hilšerův rival z Prahy 2. Kandidovat bude i Drahošova sokyně". Denik,cz (in Czech). Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Piráti: Kandidátem na senátora v obvodě Praha 9 je Petr Daubner". Parlamentní Listy. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Hnutí STAN do senátních voleb nasadí Davida Smoljaka". Parlamentní Listy. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Jarolím (ODS): Chci, aby města a obce získaly více peněz ze státního rozpočtu". Parlamentní Listy. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- s.r.o, TV PRAHA. "Starosta Prahy 9 Jarolím kandiduje do Senátu". prahatv.eu (in Czech). Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Janáková, Barbora. "Vědkyně Syková chce do Senátu za hnutí, které odmítá migranty a "nepřizpůsobivé". Nesouzním s nimi v každém detailu, říká". Deník N. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Z Prahy 9 do Senátu zamíří starosta Jarolím, nebo scenárista Smoljak. Dělilo je 137 hlasů". iROZHLAS (in Czech). Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Senát PČR (Praha 9) – vítěz Jarolím Jan | Fortuna". www.ifortuna.cz. Archived from the original on 25 March 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Doplňovací volby do Senátu Parlamentu ČR konané dne 5.4. – 6.4.2019" (in Czech). Retrieved 20 March 2019.